Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What do you get from the relationship with your husband?

Response from Megan to the above question:

I don't think I've ever had to put that into words before.

I get balance and a partnership from my husband. Over the years we've
worked on our relationship and now we have a very healthy give and
take. I can rely on him to listen to me, to give me a helping hand in
figuring things out, or supporting me. When I'm stuck, or making bad
choices he's always there to help me get back on track. I offer the
same things: insight, support, accountability - to him when he's stuck.

Our personalities are very different, but because we take time to
explore who the other person is we have understanding for that, but also
we are very aware of the fact that he compensates for my weaknesses and
I compensate for his.

I get friendship; he really is my best friend. We talk about things
from what happened at work to how the universe works. I get
companionship and lots, and lots of laughter (he's a goof).

I also get security and safety - stability from him. (He gets love and
comfort - belief in who he is from me.) Not just financially, but
emotionally and physically too. I know he'll always be there to catch me.

He gives me someone to talk to, and keeps me company, but I also know he
believes in me and sees more in me than I see in myself. We are
literally climbing this mountain together, pushing and pulling each
other up as we go.

I will say we had to work very hard to get to this place in our marriage
(it didn't happen naturally), and that most people in marriage are
trying to get themselves higher and are either battling their spouse or
trying to manipulate them so they can climb up on them. It takes a lot
of work to be able to give that up and see how helping the other helps
ourselves. But, in my relationship we've really come to a point where
the verse that says "two become one" is true.

Phyl~

******
If this post leads you down a similar path of self-discovery, please click on Mr. Linky(in the side-bar) to let me know that you have written an entry in your blog about my post and/or leave a comment:). Thanks for coming by...and...Enjoy your journey~.

7 Free Lessons from the Teachers of The Secret

1 comments:

Be Inspired Always said...

Sounds like you both have a beautiful marriage.The most important thing my husband gives me is contentment, comfort and knowing that he'll love me because we both know we are not perfect.



Jillian